What does an absorbency sachet have to do with Ricky Ponting?

You are probably wondering "What's a cricketer doing with an absorbency sachet?!" Well, nothing! Our patient Ricky Ponting is not a cricketer but he is a 19 week old Kelpie cross Koolie. His owners called the clinic because Ricky had eaten an absorbency sachet from a raw meat tray. Our veterinarian recommended Ricky to come down to the clinic so we could examine him and induce vomiting.

Ricky was very bright and happy when he arrived at the clinic. However, our vet recommended inducing vomiting to avoid the absorbency sachet from getting stuck (as they swell up) and causing an obstruction. Ricky brought up his dinner (undigested) and the absorbency sachet. Our vet administered anti-nausea medication and Ricky went home with an empty belly.

Signs of obstruction include vomiting, lethargy (tiredness), tucked or painful abdomen when touched and inappetance (loss of appertite). It is important to bring your pet straight to the vet if you suspect your pet has eaten a foreign object because we can only induce vomiting within 3 to 4 hours. Refrain your pet from playing with broken toys and monitor them when eating bones because if left untreated obstruction can be fatal.

Ricky has had a full recovery from his ordeal and is looking forward to his next 'proper' meal.