Lenny now knows earplugs are not food

Meet Lenny, a gorgeous 15 week old Kelpie. Lenny first visited our clinic for puppy school classes where he was well behaved and socialised really well with the other puppies. By the time he graduated the staff couldn't resist his floppy ears and puppy charm!

One morning, Lenny's owner came to the clinic asking for some advice after Lenny had cheekily eaten a foam earplug that was on the ground. His owner was unsure as to whether the earplug would pass easily through Lenny's digestive tract, or whether it would cause more serious issues later. One of our vets consulted with Lenny's owner and it was decided the best option would be to induce Lenny to vomit. 

Whilst the earplug might not have ended up causing Lenny any harm, it's always better, if there is doubt, to try and get the foreign object out. If left untreated, some objects may become lodged in the digestive tract because they are unable to pass through properly. This could cause more serious issues later and may mean invasive surgery needs to be performed to remove the object. Therefore, it's always best to consult your veterinarian sooner rather than later. If left for too long, it is often not possible to make your pet vomit the object out.

Luckily, it was only an hour since Lenny had eaten the earplug. He was given a medication to make him vomit and the earplug was successfully removed.

Whilst Lenny may have not felt too good about having to vomit, he left the clinic a happy puppy and is still very happy to visit us on his walks past the clinic.

If you know your pet has eaten a foreign object and you are unsure whether it will pass easily through their digestive tract, it's always best to consult with your veterinarian for advice.

Share