French Bulldog, Charlie makes a lucky recovery

Charlie is an 18 month old French bulldog who was brought to the clinic when his owner became concerned as Charlie had been vomiting for the past three days. Charlie was now quite depressed and dehydrated.

After discussion with Charlie's owners, it was revealed that he could have access to some Nurofen tablets about four days before.

Nurofen contains Ibuprofen, which is an anti-inflammatory medication. If given to pets it can cause serious side effects including: vomiting, ulceration of the stomach, kidney failure, and can be fatal. The effects may be treated but the damage to the kidneys is not always reversible.

Charlie was admitted to hospital and placed on intravenous fluids to correct his hydration. We performed an in-house blood test which indicated that his kidneys had been severely affected by the Ibuprofen. A urine examination confirmed this evidence. Prognosis for Charlie at this stage was poor.

For the next five days Charlie was kept in hospital on intravenous fluids, antibiotics, and medications to prevent a stomach ulcer. Charlie was given plenty of cuddles and TLC by all the staff, and was fed a special diet called Hills k/d, to avoid further kidney damage. A repeat blood test was performed each day, and it was not until his fourth day of hospitalization, that his tests began to show his kidney function was returning to normal.

The next morning Charlie's intravenous fluids were stopped and he was sent home with some of the special diet and antibiotic tablets. Charlie was once again the bright and happy dog we had all met only a few months earlier when he was in hospital for desexing.

Charlie's owner was advised to bring him back to the clinic in two days, and then one week later, to repeat his blood tests.

Both repeat blood and urine tests showed Charlie's kidney function had returned to normal, and he was eating and drinking well with no vomiting.

Charlie was lucky, because aggressive treatment was commenced early enough to reverse the damage that the Ibuprofen had caused.

Medications for humans should never be given to our pets, or left out where a mischievous pet may find them. They can have serious and even fatal consequences.

If you are concerned about your pet please contact the clinic before administering any human medication/preparation. (Even Dettol antiseptic can cause skin and mouth ulceration!!)

If you ever suspect your pet has ingested any form of medication that has not been prescribed to them by a veterinarian, please contact the clinic immediately

 

Share